Tuesday, July 22, 2014

BORN IN THE BRONX

http://boo-hooray.com/exhibits/born-in-the-bronx



  I'm glad I was able to check out this gallery dedicated to the early days of HipHop .Exhibited by Boo-Hooray at Gavin Brown’s enterprise down at the West Village.

    As I was born in the Bronx, NY and a kid living in West Tremont Ave & Loring Place, I always felt this connection to this birthplace not only of  my own, but of Hip Hop and all its elements from : DJing , MCing, B-Boying, & Graffiti Writing. My pops having had worked in 98.7 Kiss FM, which was one of the first radio stations ever to broadcast HipHop in the 80's, he learned to DJ and that was it for me!  The BX and the trains I remember all covered up in Graffiti, was part inspiration to begin drawing as a kid and making up characters and tag names. I can never rap or freestyle too well, but I spilled all my thoughts down on paper and did poetry. I briefly tried to learn to break dance in high school...but that only lasted so long haha. 

ROCKIN POPS OL JACKET, STILL LOOKIN FRESH 30 YRS LATER!

YES! WHERE IT ALL STARTED THANKS TO DJ KOOL HERC, GRANDMASTER FLASH, AFRIKA BAMBAATAA AND MANY MORE! HOLDIN UP HIP HOP FAMILY TREE BY ED PISKOR, WHICH DOCUMENTS THE EARLY STAGES OF HIP HOP IN COMIC FORMAT!http://boingboing.net/tag/hip-hop-family-tree 

DJ KOOL HERC, GODFATHER OF HIPHOP!

  Here are some pics on my visit to this great exhibit I wish more people had that chance to check out. Copies of old records used by Afrika Bambaataa and other Dj's during the late 70's/80's were for sale and on display. The old flyers, photographs, and clothing from that time also on display. Though I was not old enough to enjoy or reminisce about that era, I sure as hell felt like I stepped into a time machine!Enjoy~ PEACE

Description copied from exhibition site http://boo-hooray.com/exhibits/born-in-the-bronx:

This exhibition celebrates several of hip hop’s pioneers. Afrika Bambaataa: the architect of the music, Buddy Esquire: the premier flyer artist and inventor of the genre’s visual aesthetic, Charlie Ahearn: the director of Wild Style, and Joe Conzo: the photographer who documented the earliest days of the Bronx art form, before its mass popularity.


















DJ TONY TONE & KOOL HERC






DJ ROCKIN ROB SETTIN UP, TAKIN IT BACK,STRICTLY VINYL. NO LAPTOP!



No comments:

Post a Comment